Vintage Makeup

Thursday, September 19, 2013



I have always been fascinated with the past. Something about the innocence and simplicity of peoples daily lives compared to ours gets to me. Whether you look at cars, music or, as I am doing now,
makeup. Less was known about and so people had to make do with what they had. Have you seen a mascara from the 1950s? It was basically a little box filled with a black paste-like substance with a little tooth brush attached to the side used to apply the "mascara"! Unfortunately my makeup doesn't go back to the 50s because that is quite rare to find and a treasure if you do, but none the less the 1980s are far enough I think to really get a taste of what my generation missed.



So as you have seen in the photos I just want to pick out some of the more interesting items. My favorite is the navy blue Dior set. I seriously think they should bring back that packaging! It was so simple yet elegant and looked very luxurious. The blotting sheets, loose powder and eye-shadow palette are all in working condition and excellent quality I must say. The shadows are quite yellow/orange but maybe that was just the fashion of the time... The red Elizabeth Arden lipstick is also timeless, the packaging is black and silver and very streamlined making it look a bit like a greek column. I love the turquoise lipstick holder. It has a mirror inside which comes in very handy and it's a great little accessory for when you're going out wearing a strong lip and know that touch-ups will be unavoidable.The Products:Loose Powder - Estee Lauder6 Eye-shadows - Constance Carroll Eye Toners, Collection 13Double Eye Shadow - Oriflame, Colour Performance Duo Eye Shadow in 3354 Wedgewood BlueBlush - Dior in 943 Naive Rose Lipstick (all dark navy) - Dior in 311 Velvet Rose Lipstick (navy/indigo) - Dior in 002 Sheer LiliacRed Lipstick - Elizabeth Arden in Dusk 108Cream & Gold Lipstick - Estee Lauder in RosaBlotting Sheets - Corn Silk, oil-absorbent powder papersSmall Green Powder - Clinique, face powderP.S.  All makeup items used to belong to my mom, bought throughout the 1980s and early 90s, and have survived thanks to her care and careful handling!

















2 comments

  1. Such a nice post! Took me back in time and just reminded me of the very first Dior lipstick I purchased. :)

    ReplyDelete