The Mesh Bag Is Back

Monday, June 19, 2017


A few years ago I bought a netted, crotchet, mesh, fishing, whatever-you-want-to-call-it bag. I saw it out of the corner of my eye in a boutique in Warsaw and although it was a bright fuchsia colour, and I usually go for versatile blacks or browns, I bought it! And I remember why too. There were a couple of reasons. Firstly, I knew it was an accessory worn in the past that would fit my vintage-style outfits, and secondly, it was an item I distinctly remember my grandmother talk about using. I never, however, imagined it would become such a trendy accessory within the next few years. And boy do I love it when items used daily in the past become desirable and fashionable again - which seems to be the case here!

Above: A newspaper advert for the crotchet bag, c. late 1930s - early 1940s.
http://ic.pics.livejournal.com/lunteg/16589014/133959/133959_original.jpg

The bag itself was already in use in the 1930s, especially for everyday food shops or visits to fruit and vegetable markets. It was also a typical summer accessory, used to carry towels and a few bits to the beach. One of the bags advantages is its ability to significantly expand and shrink in size. The way it is designed allows it to widen, a bit like stretching out a fishing net, to accommodate bulky items or awkwardly shaped fruits. It actually has a particularly nostalgic connotation in Poland, which is where I live, because it was a type of bag often carried by people throughout the communist regime (i.e. the 1950s to 1980s) - which is why I remember my grandma talking about it. She fondly recalled the peculiar little bag that that accompanied her on grocery trips to stores with not enough stock (not such a fond memory). I love to reminisce about stories my grandma told me and the fact that this style of bag reminds me of them is heartwarming. That's what I like about old items - they carry a story. So if you want to bring back a bit of the past, all the while keeping up with the latest trends, then I think this practical purchase is one to make.

I saw versions of the bag appear in stores such as H&M and recently noticed it on Instagram too. This really is proof that a great invention never ceases to amaze, even if it's as simple as a cotton (or 100% recycled polyester - it's nice you are trying to care for the environment H&M) crotchet bag. 

H&M mesh shopper bag made from 100% recycled polyester (Summer 2017 collection).
http://www2.hm.com/en_gb/productpage.0488493002.html#Light%20blue
Accessed on 9/06/2017


A post shared by meganellaby (@meganellaby) on

A post shared by JESSICA ALIZZI (@jessalizzi) on

Post a Comment