Where To Find Vintage-Looking Nightwear?

Saturday, August 12, 2017


How often is it that you stumble upon pyjamas in a vintage store? Much like swimsuits it seems to be one of those wardrobe essentials that is quite difficult to acquire. And once you do find a style that you like it usually turns out to be either not in your size, in mediocre condition or simply too expensive to justify buying. This mission can be a challenge to complete. Therefore, I myself have resorted to looking for a simple white nightgown - something which, as it turns out, is not that much easier to do!

Although I love vintage shopping, on-line and in store, nightwear (a bit like underwear) is a rather personal matter. One often (hopefully!) needs a couple of sets and the material has to feel soft and be comfortable to wear. I have made the switch to nightgowns long ago, primarily for two reasons. Firstly, I prefer the breezy feel of a nightie, as opposed to the stiffness of a classic, long sleeved and long trousered pyjama set. Secondly, they are a hundred times more delicate and feminine (well, at least they have the potential to be so) and fit in much better within my aesthetic. 

Also, is there not something satisfying about stepping into bed in a fresh, newly bought, crisp white nightie? For me, it is a timeless piece of female clothing which gives nod to the Edwardian tea gown - a style of dress developed as a more casual alternative to the typically rigorous fashions of the time.

My favourites are those with detailed embroidery or lace trim and always in 100% cotton. The one above is from Zara Home and it is serving me very well. I included a few screenshots with similar finds below and wish you all the best on your search. They must be selling these classics somewhere!

Zara Home

Zara Home

The White Company

Where do you look to find your favourite authentic-vintage or vintage-looking sleepwear?

Post a Comment